Current:Home > Contact4 charged in theft of 18-karat gold toilet -WealthRoots Academy
4 charged in theft of 18-karat gold toilet
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 17:51:12
Four men have been charged in the theft of a solid gold toilet, which was valued at roughly $1.25 million when it was stolen, the Crown Prosecution Service said Monday.
Officials list the current value of the toilet, which has not been found, at 4.8 million pounds, or roughly $5.93 million.
The toilet was taken from Blenheim Palace, Winston Churchill's birthplace, in 2019, just days after its installation. It had previously been displayed at the Guggenheim museum in New York City as part of an "America" exhibit by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan. After the theft, Cattelan said he hoped the robbery was "a kind of Robin Hood-inspired action," according to Blenheim Palace.
The toilet was fully functional. Before it was taken, the gold toilet had been connected to Blenheim Palace's plumbing system, police said at the time. The toilet's removal caused "significant damage and flooding" in the building.
James Sheen, 39, faces charges of burglary, transferring criminal property and conspiracy to do the same, according to police.
Michael Jones, 38, faces a burglary charge. Fred Doe, 35, and Bora Guccuk, 39, are accused of conspiring to transfer criminal property. They are due to appear before Oxford Magistrates' Court on Nov. 28.
Aliza ChasanAliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBS News.
TwitterveryGood! (69535)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Michigan law students work to clear man convicted of stealing beer
- 25 Secrets About Home Alone That Will Leave You Thirsty for More
- 400,000 homes, businesses without power as storm bears down on Northeast: See power outage maps
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Artificial intelligence can find your location in photos, worrying privacy experts
- 'It looks like a living organism': California man's mysterious photo captures imagination
- 'Manifestation of worst fear': They lost a child to stillbirth. No one knew what to say.
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Can family doctors deliver rural America from its maternal health crisis?
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Shawn Johnson and Andrew East Have a Golden Reaction to Welcoming Baby No. 3
- CIA director William Burns meets Israel's Mossad chief in Europe in renewed push to free Gaza hostages
- Alabama coach Nick Saban addresses Michigan's sign-stealing case ahead of Rose Bowl matchup
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Hong Kong court begins Day 2 of activist publisher Jimmy Lai’s trial
- Google's Android app store benefits from anticompetitive barriers, jury in Epic Games lawsuit says
- 'The Voice': Mara Justine makes John Legend have 'so many regrets' with haunting Adele cover
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
North Korea test launches apparent long-range missile designed to carry nuclear warhead, hit U.S. mainland
Seahawks vs. Eagles Monday Night Football highlights: Drew Lock, Julian Love lift Seattle
None of these anchors are real: Channel 1 plans for AI to generate news, broadcasters
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Georgia’s governor says the state will pay a $1,000 year-end bonus to public and school employees
France urges Lebanese leaders to work on bringing calm along the border with Israel
Did America get 'ripped off'? UFO disclosure bill derided for lack of transparency.